DUBUQUES, Iowa — A Dubuques man has agreed to pay $6,500 to the owners of a local business over misleading ads that he saw on Google.
According to a press release from the Iowa Attorney General’s Office, the Dubuques Police Department notified the owners Monday that it had found a suspicious ad on Google’s search engine that was used to target Dubuq resident John DeJong in 2016.
DeJongs wife and daughter were on the other side of the world at the time, so they decided to go out and get their groceries on a Saturday night.
DeJong told the Dubucos Times-News that the ads on Google were for his store, which he runs out of his home.
DeVins, a veteran of the Iowa National Guard, said that after he got home from work, he got a call from the Dubues Police Department, who said that a number of ads were being used in a targeted way.
DeSantis said he was unaware that the ad was for his business, but he agreed to take action when he received the call from police.
“I had been looking into Google for some time and when I first saw the ads, I immediately thought it was a scam,” he said.
“They are saying, ‘We want to make money for you and your family, so please stop doing this.'”
DeSantes, who has lived in Dubuquez since 2008, said the ad campaign had been going on for several months, and that he didn’t know why it had come to light.
DeBurgis said that the Dubuses Police department had contacted Google to ask for help, but Google did not respond to their calls.
DeRosa said that Google had not responded to their inquiry, so DeBurgs and his wife, Marisa, decided to take matters into their own hands.
They contacted Google’s privacy team, which told them that they would be able to take legal action against the company if it failed to provide them with a copy of the ads.
Marisa DeBergis said she believes that Google should have acted sooner when she first learned of the issue.
“They should have sent me a notification that they found the ads,” she said.
After Google refused to act, DeBregis contacted the Dubuees Police Chief, who took action by telling Google that he would be contacting the owner of the business.
De Roles told the Times-N-Things that the owner has agreed not to discuss the case publicly.
“He will not talk to the media because we are not going to reveal anything about the case,” he added.
“The owner of this business has agreed that he will not speak to the press about the matter.”
DeRoles attorney, John DeBruys, said in a statement that he was “deeply disappointed” with the attorney general’s decision.
“We are very confident that our client’s case will be vindicated,” he continued.
“Mr. DeRoles is a strong advocate for the community, and we look forward to working with him to provide our clients with the resources they need to recover from this unfortunate situation.”
The Dubuquer County Sheriff’s Office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.